Genetically dominant (homozygous) traits of Irish Black Cattle:
1. Dark Hides; black or occasionally red (a recessive red gene trait).
2. Moderate Framed; cows 1050-1250 lbs., bulls 1650-2100 lbs.
3. Light Birth Weights; our calves consistently range between 72-75 pounds at calving.
4. Vigorous Calves: our calves thrive with minimal input on high altitude ranges.
5. High Fertility; 50-70 cows per single I.B. Bull!! Heifers cycle/breed well.
6. Early Maturity; calves finish by 14 months old.
7. High Weight Gain.
9. Excellent Rib Eye Area Scores; we provide data on every sale bull.
10. High Tenderness.
11. High Marbling Scores; ultrasound data on every sale bull.
12. Low Back Fat Scores.
13. Top Yield Grade Scores; consistent group performance in feedlots.
14. High Carcass Weights; excellent ADG/conversions and fast finishing.
15. Premium Carcass Performance.
16. Longevity of Production; our bulls will perform to six plus years old.
17. Large Scrotal Measurements.
18. Large Pelvic Measurements.
19. Shorter Gestation Period; 277 days.
20. Calving Ease/Maternal Instincts; Excellent mamas- breed back with ease, calve effortlessly, thrive on the range, maintain excellent udder scores.
21. High Milk Production.
22. Excellent Mothering Traits.
23. Small Finger Length Teats; and no pendulous udders.
24. Penis does not hang down and drag.
25. No Brisket Problems; altitude tested genetic performance. Our animals thrive at 6,500-8,000 feet year-round.
26. Work Ready Cattle; easy to handle and sort, move where you need them to go. We work our cattle with young children with no problems.
27. Range Cattle; these cattle take care of themselves, cows go find the best grasses and calves are vigorous and jump up to take to nursing immediately.
Take it from our son...
"Our cows are nice."